What is Oracle Database 10g Express Edition?
Oracle has announced an entry-level, small footprint starter database called Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Oracle Database XE), which is:
• Free to download
• Free to develop & deploy
• Free to distribute (including ISVs)
Oracle Database XE is built using the same code base as Oracle Database 10g Release 2 product line—Standard Edition One, Standard Edition, and Enterprise Edition—and is available on 32-bit Windows and Linux platforms.
Who should use Oracle Database XE?
Oracle Database XE is the perfect choice for many different groups, including:
• Developers working on PHP, Java, .NET, and other applications that require a database
• DBAs who need a free starter database for training and deployment
• Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who want to embed an Oracle database in their application or product to extend customer value at no additional cost
• Educational institutions and students who need a free starter database for their curriculum.
Can I use Oracle Database XE for free development?
Yes. There are no database license costs associated with developing applications for Oracle Database XE which offers the complete integrated set of Oracle Database programming interfaces including:
• SQL, PL/SQL
• Java, C, and PHP
• Windows .Net
• Oracle HTML DB
• C++, ODBC, OLE DB
Can I use Oracle Database XE for free deployment?
Oracle Database XE is free for runtime usage with the following limitations:
• Supports up to 4GB of user data (in addition to Oracle system data)
• Single instance only of Oracle Database XE on any server
• Only uses and executes on one processor in any server
• Can use up to 1GB RAM
Vec postoji i tutorial: http://st-curriculum.oracle.com/tutorial/DBXETutorial/index.htm